Great Cooks Community

HERE'S HOW MY MEMAW ALWAYS MADE THEM

* 2 large sweet potatoes
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, or 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, all spice or pumpkin spice
* Mini Marshmallows

Peel and cut up potatoes into large chunks. Place in large pot, cover with water, add salt. Bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer for 15-20 minutes. Cook until their tender enough to pierce with a fork, but don’t let them get too soft. You want the potatoes to hold their shape. Unless you prefer mashed sweet potatoes, then cook longer.

In the last few minutes before the potatoes are ready, melt butter in small sauce pan, add brown sugar and spice. Stir until sugar dissolves and thickens.

Drain off excess water from sweet potatoes. Place them in oven proof serving dish, coat them with sugar mixture, toss as needed. Cover with mini marshmallows, as much as you like.
Generally during holiday cooking, the oven is still on or hot from baking something else. So just place sweet potatoes on the center rack and bake until marshmallows turn light brown. It depends on how hot the oven is as to how long to bake them. Just watch the marshmallows turn lighten golden, 5 minutes or so.

FOR THIS THROWDOWN

The recipe must involve sweet potatoes.

Please DO NOT get weird and use funky hard to find ingredients.
Everyone is free to make them sweet or not, with or without marshmallows, use nuts, mash'em, turn them into a pie, make your Momma's recipe or don't, etc.

I want to see Traditional VS. New recipes.
Let's show the food blogosphere where they can find
THE BEST SWEET POTATOES RECIPES ON THE PLANET!!!

Views: 26

Replies to This Discussion

SO Jill, we do a recipe with Sweet potato in it, blog it and post a link on here, on the last day of the month?
Yep, you got it!
I have never cooked sweet potatoes before and don't even know if I can find them in Greece. Shall do my best and see if I can get some.
P.S. What is the final result. Is this eaten as dessert?
Tenina - Yes a recipe with Sweet Potatoes or Yams, blog it and post the link here on the last day of the month. That way everyone will have time to create something without being influenced by other recipes.

Ivy & any other international chefs - Sweet Potato or Yams will work, if you don't have access to either one, how about a recipe using pumpkin or acorn squash. Would that be OK Jill? The final result can be either a sweet dessert or a savory side. Our version of the Sweet Potato with Marshmallows is used as a side for Thanksgiving or Christmas here.
Chillicat, thanks for clarifying. Wish I was an international chef, just an ordinary housewife (lol).
If I dont have a blog, where else can I submit my recipe?
Besides in this discussion group?
Use your own page in this community, OR email to me and I'll post it on my blog and give you ALL the credit.
I just posted my Throwdown - Yam & Spinach Gratin ... who else is ready for a Throwdown?!?
Missed August due to busyness beyond my control...but I am in for next month...the ideas that are coming through are terrific! Well done all fellow throwers!

RSS

© 2014   Created by Great Cooks Community.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service